I worked a full shift yesterday with no problems although the patients were somewhat problematic. I walked in with almost a full board of patients which means they were very busy last night.
They had 4 (yes four) psych patients waiting for beds in a psych unit in random places throughout Phoenix. That is a lot and usually it takes about 24-48 to get them a bed. Those patients hang out with us till then; it can be fun. One of the patients woke up about 8am and decided he didn't want to be there anymore and started walking around. We have to keep him there because he was petitioned by the court to stay. Well the firefighters dropping off a different patient decided they wanted a fight and they helped get the guy back in the room. The patient got very mad and started hitting the firefighters. One of the firefighters put him in a head lock and waited till he passed out. We restrained him with four point (arms and legs) leather restraints and he slept the rest of the day.
About halfway through the day a guy checked in with a rash all over his body. His face and torso were completely covered and he stated that it started only 2 days ago. Well my doc wanted to talk to a dermatologist to consult. You know how hard it is to find a dermatologist on a Sunday afternoon? Practically impossible but I was able to eventually get one on the phone from Sun City. The doc said it was most likely an infectious disease of some sort so we sent him off to Phoenix. I hope it wasn't airborne. . . . :-/
About 5pm we always get a rush. Sometimes it feels like they carpool. Well yesterday they did. An entire family of Mexicans checked in. All five of them complained off a cough. I was a little pissed because they are wasting our time. Well the good thing was that our doctor refused to see them because it wasn't a medical emergency (we call that MSOing them, medical screen out). Its crazy how much illegal aliens get away with. That's all I'm going to say about that, otherwise I can go on and on about it.
The day wrapped up early (I love it when the night guy comes in early) and overall I love the ER because it is always interesting.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment